Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Pacifier free...night one

Last week Hannah had her first dentist appointment.  It went well, really well in fact...except for the doctor's disapproval of her still having a pacifier at night.  When he showed me her teeth overbite or lack there of and explained she'd need braces at age 12, well, I knew it was time to pull the plug on "binky."  But, of course, that's easier said than done.  The dentist first gave me a funky looking pacifier that he created which looks more like a night guard.  He said to switch out the old "binky" with the new and that 99 percent of the kids would just stop using it on their own b/c they wouldn't like the new.  Well, of course, Hannah was the one percent who liked her new one (check out the picture below...).

So, last night I just decided to have "binky" break and explain that it went to "binky heaven" to be recycled for a future baby in the world.  Well, there were tears and shouts of no but then something miraculous happen: Hannah fell asleep without it.

Fast forward to this morning: "mom, please fix my binky. Please." With tears in her eyes she said that to me about a dozen times.  I held strong with my story but it wasn't easy...I hate to see my child cry but I know that it will be better without it...  So, here's to night two and wondering how it will go...

No comments:

Post a Comment