Thursday, April 7, 2011

My Overwhelming Life...

As someone with a lot on her plate, I often pride myself in being able to handle all that life throws at me.  With a demanding career, two kids and all that life is, I am usually relatively upbeat and try to take it all in stride.  But even I'll admit that I've taken on a lot right now.  You see this coming week brings two firsts for me: my Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) exam AND running my first 5K.  To many it may not seem like a lot but to me that coupled with the day to day is causing me to feel overwhelmed.

Having my APR is something I've wanted to do for a long time...it supports my profession and provides me with another opportunity to learn and grow in public relations.  I'll be honest, I love my career.  Sure, it's crazy busy and I often have too much on my plate BUT I wouldn't change what I decided to do for anything.  When I was at BGSU, for the first three years there I thought I was going to be a newspaper reporter.  I saw myself as the next Diane Sawyer of the newspaper world...well, maybe not quite but you get where I'm going... Then my heart changed, and I realized news reporter wasn't for me...So what was then?  Thankfully I had an opportunity at BGSU's Continuing Education Program and the rest, as they say, is history... Fast forward 12 years from that part time job and I'm about ready to elevate my career to the next level...I hope. I believe in public relations and the important role it plays in the business environment and couldn't be more proud to call myself a p.r. professional.

And then there's the 5K....what can I say other than it's another challenge?! I discovered running three years ago and haven't looked back.  I suppose I should say I'm more of a jogger than a "runner" but whatever you label me I love it! I'll admit when I first hit the pavement, I'm in a little bit of dread but then the mind starts to clear and I feel the tension and whatever else is bothering me start to fade.... When those miles are over with, I feel accomplished and ready to tackle whatever is next.

BUT I never expected to run a 5K...that is until a good friend of ours was diagnosed with cancer and began training for a marathon following his surgery.  I thought to myself if Ben can overcome that obstacle then I most certainly can support him by running three miles.  And so it is....but I'm not only running for Ben but also another friend named Joe who is going through his own health issues.  They are both incredibly strong! And last but not least I am running for me and to show my inner self that yes, I can do this! So for all three of us, I'll be running the Glass City 5K next weekend!

More to come but as any woman can attest, life is never easy, simple or calm....but I'm not sure I'd have it any other way ;)

1 comment: