Monday, October 29, 2012

Coming full circle...

Life....it really is like a "box of chocolates and you never know what you're gonna get."  Yes, I realize that's such a cliche line from Forrest Gump...but if you think about it, it's true...I have a blessed life.  I'm so honored to have the family I was born into as well as the family I married into and created.

But there is a hole you see...and that is of my dad, Bob. For the first 24 years of my life, he was there and I was his baby daughter, the youngest girl of FOUR daughters...to say he was outnumbered is putting it mildly.  Many, actually most, say I take after him in many ways and they would be right.  I was close to my dad growing up, while in college and those precious few years beyond when I began my "adult" life.  And I learned a lot from him along the way...and, yes, my love of the New York Yankees came from him (sorry folks but my Yanks will forever be part of who I am!!).

Today, marks 11 years since he's been gone...but not forgotten. Ever.

October 29, 2001: It started out as any other day with work, a routine doctor's visit and then the gym. BUT, as I walked up the stairs that night to my apartment I heard the phone ring. I tried to get in to answer but couldn't in time. Yet, something told me to check the machine right away. What I heard I will never forget: my mom frantic, saying "your dad had a stroke I think and they're taking him to X hospital." Oh My God, I thought as I raced back to the car....I'm sure I drove thru countless red lights and far exceeded the speed limits pretty much the entire way.  I got there just as the ambulance did and with it I saw my dad with a paramedic on the stretcher with him performing CPR. I yelled something to the effect: "Please save him b/c he has to walk me down the aisle."

But alas, Dad was gone...gone b/f he hit the ground I'd learn and no amount of CPR or rescusitation efforts would bring him back.

The aftermath of that night is a blur...but we survived and slowly moved forward.  It's not about moving on b/c you don't ever really move on but Life continues and so must you b/c we are still here on Earth, living, breathing and alive.

And guess what? we learned to live again...and laughter returned.  You see for me laughter is the best medicine.  For laughter really does heal the soul and it's also a window into the soul.

My dad and mom taught me about hard work. Nothing was handed to them in life, rather, they earned it all through hard work and love.  The love they had for each other and for each of us girls. And they taught me what life is about.

As I sit here on the 11th anniversary of his death, I remember the memories, the stories and laughter that was my dad.  Oh and the practical joker who LOVED the 4th of July and spending time with his family.  No parent is perfect but I got pretty lucky with Bob Bednarski as my dad.

To my girls he's their guardian angel but to me he will forever and always be Dad.  So, Dad, if you can read this from Heaven (not sure how the whole Internet craze works up there!), yes I have tears for you and miss you each and everyday but I'm good.  Great in fact.  And thanks for being my dad, confidante and friend.

Now, I think I'll just go grab a beer for you, Dad!




No comments:

Post a Comment